Stop going head to head with the hunter

ragonrokragonrok Member, Moderator mod
edited June 2018 in Hunters

I cannot stress this enough. You aren't meant to be able to go toe to toe with the hunter.

You need to be where the hunter is not.

Prime example:
Game starts and immediately three runners are on point A. Huge mistake to group like that. I get there before the cap and down one, the other 2 bolt.

Now I have no reason to leave point A. There is an objective AND a body here. So I sit tight, let all my CD's come back/reload. The other points are not being contested. Huge mistake. Now I really have no reason to leave.

All the runners run right for the body as I stare at it from the high ground and mow them down one after another.

2 down, 3 down
Now most of team is down, no nodes are capped, and all the bodies are on point A. Im not gonna leave, I'm not gonna execute anyone and divide my attention.

STILL the other nodes are not being contested. Reload, CD's come back. The last two rush in and die.

The moral of the story is, you cannot beat the hunter in a straight fight. Your bow will never beat his fully automatic assault rifle. Use your numbers to divide his attention. He can only be in one place, use that against him.

Running towards the hunter plays right into his hands.

Comments

• I can't stress this enough! The Hunter is powerful for a reason; he's not supposed to be fought against. The Runners need to do what their name describes, and run. Instead they either don't focus objectives and try to fight you the whole time, or they get over-altruistic and send the whole team to save one downed person. It's not smart to try to risk it all to save one person. Several times tonight I've downed several people because they've tried to come rescue one person, and then I wind up winning in only a few minutes playtime.

Use your brains, Runners, instead of blaming the Hunter for being "broken".

• KilraneKilrane Member
    edited August 2018

When I'm being slowed and interrupted while reloading it seems that Hunters are supposed to be taken on.

• AcromioAcromio Member

Meanwhile, the devs are already nerfing the Hunter, lol.

• CherryCherry Member

@Acromio said:
    Meanwhile, the devs are already nerfing the Hunter, lol.

good he should be nerfed.

• dezzmontdezzmont Member
    edited August 2018

I think this is honestly false. The game HEAVILY rewards you for being extremely aggressive towards the hunter. You get NPI and the cooldowns on effects are not long enough to prevent you from locking the hunter out of play.

While it is true early game you should not go head to head with the hunter, late game your torments and controls should be swarming on the hunter while supports cap and use defense and heal to become immortal.

Perhaps if NPI generation were nerfed, and NPI gain on hunter interaction, which is an utterly ridiculous mechanic that makes no sense at all because it effectively removes the cost of going aggressive, this would be true.

To some extent this is good. It allows runners to make plays even when the hunter is trying to defend really hard. I am not saying "The runners should never be able to lock down the hunter." You need to let runners gain openings on the hunter if the hunter isn't aggressive enough.

However the game is experience for hunter vs aggressive runners is... truly horrible and borderline unplayable. Imagine 4 flashlight Claudette mains with infinite flashlights. The runners just have far too many resources end game and their resources all essentially stop you from playing. The optimal strategy shouldn't be, end game, to stunlock the hunter for 5 seconds with only really a 5 second cooldown between aggressive actions. The hunter just fundamentally lacks tools to deal with that now that the autoshotgun isn't strong enough to close out a close range down before the runner can react.

This creates a weird and screwed up dynamic where the HUNTER is the defensive player under attack and the runners are the aggressors, which is the reverse of the intended power dynamic of the game.

• voldovoldo Member
    edited August 2018

My respond is for the soft launching of the game. August 2018.....not for the beta launch back in June...which I just released most of these posts are from.

"the HUNTER is the defensive player under attack and the runners are the aggressors"

I couldn't agree more. Why would they avoid the hunter? With all the perks and powers they get. The hunter has a perk that allows you to see a down runner for 6 second? So I have to waste a perk to see a runner I down? Wow ok. Why would they need to avoid the Hunter? They can take the fight to the bloodpost where the Hunters turrets or mines don't work due to the fact people thought it was too much. So he gets nerfed while the runners can use all their perks in the bloodpost area. Hell...it's 5 runners....2 can be opening the exits while three of them attack the Hunter. A bit carried away with the 5 vs 1 ratio. Like it wasnt bad enough Hunters have to down 3 people just to get them to the bloodpost. Why would they need to avoid a confrontation with him? They can go places a Hunter can't, hiding spots for months if they like. Hunter shock stun use to cause the runners in the bush to moves so you could tell where they were at.....now you can't. I would take the fight to the Hunter. The whole point of the hunter being a bit more OP then the runners, is so they fear him. This way, they'll want to avoid him. Runners can take good weapons blast and keep on going, get healed, shielded......while in battle. The Hunter cant reload correctly because his animation glitches, causing him to reload over and over....like it wasn't bad enough most of his reloading animation are longer then what it take to place a key or free someone from the bloodpost. You Dev can stress all you want but until the runner fear the Hunter...its open season on him.

• pistkittypistkitty Member

@ragonrok said:

Game starts and immediately three runners are on point A. Huge mistake to group like that. I get there before the cap and down one, the other 2 bolt.

Cool story bro.

More often, they wait until you're wasting time with a crate, then they rush an objective. You show up and they've got all their powers, stunlock the shit out of you and jump around like a bunch of retarded monkeys. Myabe you down one, maybe you don't but in the meantime their buddies have capped another point and are working on the third. Now you're fucked, you can't stop either of them and they win in like 4 mins.

• LeviLevi Member, Moderator mod

@pistkitty said:

Cool story bro.

More often, they wait until you're wasting time with a crate, then they rush an objective. You show up and they've got all their powers, stunlock the shit out of you and jump around like a bunch of retarded monkeys. Myabe you down one, maybe you don't but in the meantime their buddies have capped another point and are working on the third. Now you're fucked, you can't stop either of them and they win in like 4 mins.

Yeah that's how the games goes now and runners have adapted. This post was over 2 months ago when runners were in the beginning of the learning curve and hunters seemed to be very OP and before some balance changes. However, still quite a bit of controversy around some of the hunters abilities being OP.

• pistkittypistkitty Member
    edited August 2018

@Levi said:

Yeah that's how the games goes now and runners have adapted. This post was over 2 months ago when runners were in the beginning of the learning curve and hunters seemed to be very OP and before some balance changes. However, still quite a bit of controversy around some of the hunters abilities being OP.

Cannot imagine which ones. Turrets get destroyed instantly, mines pretty much the same though I occasionally catch a particularly arrogant or stupid runner now and again. "I see you" is worthless. I used Fade a bit in the beginning cause I thought the cleanse portion would stop me being bullied...it didn't. If someone thinks "hide in the grass" and "jump around like a spaz" are strategies too difficult to master I dunno what to tell em.