If Fortnite thinks it needs bots, does Deathgarden?

So I don't play Fortnite but I read recently that they're adding bots to help ease new players into the game. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49807062.
"For a while now, the game has been wrestling with the problem of making sure new players aren't completely overwhelmed"

Sounds like a familiar problem for Deathgarden too if you ask me. Or any competitive game for that matter.

So would bots be good for Deathgarden? I think they might be.

Bots of different skill levels could be used so everyone could benefit. Noobs would be pitted against low level bots while experienced players would be up against some scary ass super bots. I'm not even sure if you'd need to make it obvious that they were bots. I wouldn't mind if they were just given a random player name myself. Or if people prefer, they are labelled as bots. Whatever.

It would allow:
* Proper matchmaking.
* Shorter queue times.
* An easier/more fun experience for new players which would lead to a larger player pool of actual players long term.
* A more fun game against tough AI opponets for experienced players when there's no one of a similar skill level online.

Here's how I visualise it working:
* Every player is ranked in some way.
* They queue for a match.
* Any players of a roughly similar rank will be queued into the same game.
* After 1 minute if there aren't enough players of that rank to fill the match, the rest of the slots are filled by bots of an appropriate skill level.
* A fair fun match ensues. :-)

What do you think?

Comments

• NuclearBurritoNuclearBurrito Member ✭✭

Unlike with fortnite the scavs need to be able to utilize teamwork.

Bots can't read the chat and it's hard to have them utilize things like pings correctly. So even if the bots are individually strong the scavs are losing out just by having them instead of real players. In other words there is no replacing a real person in these types of games.

• goat2019goat2019 Member ✭✭

@NuclearBurrito said:
    Unlike with fortnite the scavs need to be able to utilize teamwork.

Bots can't read the chat and it's hard to have them utilize things like pings correctly. So even if the bots are individually strong the scavs are losing out just by having them instead of real players. In other words there is no replacing a real person in these types of games.

While somewhat true, there are a lot of solo scavs out there who don't use voice chat or pings. I'm sure a low level bot could be programed to use pings & to prioritise certain bloodpoints etc. I.E. Just command it to "Always ping when delivering blood".
    You could even program in different behaviours for them. Such as:

• "This Scav always tries to deliver to post A"
    • "This Scav always delivers to the closest blood post"
    • "This Scav delivers to the most full blood post"

Hunters could have behaviours like:

• "Only put up drones near blood points"

• "Put up as many drones as possible".

These characteristics would mirror players somewhat & make each bot different.

The higher level ones would definitely be more tricky of course, but hey, AI is pretty advanced these days. :-)

• EliPerEliPer Member ✭✭

What about turn the game free to play and try to sell cosmetics? More players more fun. More players allow the use of skill matchmaking system.

@EliPer said:
    What about turn the game free to play and try to sell cosmetics? More players more fun. More players allow the use of skill matchmaking system.

Yeah, maybe. Although Fortnite is free to play & they've decided they need bots despite that. I don't mind, whatever works.

• EliPerEliPer Member ✭✭

The great problem is that Fortinite is a shooter game, where everyone can get kills. So, bots are only targets for rookies.

In DG it could work only for hunters, but bots won't work for scavengers. Bots aren't smart enough to give any help in a match.

• The_KeyserThe_Keyser Member

I would like to see simple bots used in a tutorial or why not for a "play against bots" mode.
    That would be a great thing for new players!

But hiding them in real games? I would so much hate that! ><

But why not using them to replace a disconnected player too

@The_Keyser said:
    But why not using them to replace a disconnected player too

Ooh good idea!