Power-Up Progression

MichaelMichael Member ✭✭✭
edited May 3 in Announcements

We’ve overhauled Deathgarden’s progression system. Once the reboot patch goes live, you’ll earn currency for the various actions you accomplish in the arena. Use different types of currency to unlock and upgrade your characters’ Powers, Perks, and Weapons. You can also use your currency to access new characters.

Reaping the most out of the Garden

During a match, you’ll earn XP and different kinds of currency for the actions you accomplish. While the hunters’ primary objective is to kill scavengers, scavengers must gather as much blood as possible and attempt to escape the Deathgarden.

Furthermore, as you level up your characters and reach higher ‘player’ ranks, you’ll unlock new Titles.

This level 15 player, playing the Stalker, has unlocked the “Echidna” Title. Gain more levels to earn new, Titles, each more prestigious than the last.

Scavengers: Gathering Blood and XP/Currency-Awarding Actions

To maximize their rewards, scavengers must gather and deliver as much Blood as possible while trying to survive in the arena. Whether they chose to work as a team or adopt a lone wolf playstyle, there are multiple ways of exploiting the garden.

To prove that they are worthy of the trial, the team of scavengers must deliver a total of [125] Blood; this will open the exits and allow any remaining scavengers to escape the Deathgarden. Furthermore, this will grant scavengers bonus XP and resources.

Here are some actions that award XP and Currency:

*Gathering and delivering Blood
*Escaping a chase
*Escaping the arena
*Assisting other scavengers
*Deactivating Drones & destroying hunter constructs (e.g. mines and turrets)
*Marking crates & other points of interest

​​Hunters: Executing Scavengers and XP/Currency-Awarding Actions

Hunters also earn XP and currency by accomplishing various feats within the garden, and, like their counterpart, may adopt different playstyles. For example, a hunter may ‘farm kills’ by downing multiple scavengers and ‘showing them mercy’ only to execute them later during the match. While this may potentially grant the hunter with a massive amount of XP and currency, it’s a “high risk high reward” approach. In effect, achieving multiple scavenger downs prior to executing a scavenger grants the hunter with a reward multiplayer (max of 5 charges, or 5 consecutive downs). Upon executing a scavenger, the hunter receives an amount of XP points and resources corresponding to his/her reward multiplier. The multiplier then resets after each execution. Failure to execute a scavenger, however, means that the hunter won’t earn their reward. So, more conservative hunters may decide focus on map control, i.e., activating Drones, hacking crates, which also grants XP and resources, and go for the kill when an unfortunate scavenger makes a mistake.

To prove their dominance in the Deathgarden, hunters must execute 4 of the 5 scavengers.  

Here are some actions that award XP and Currency:

*Downing & executing scavengers
*Dealing damage
*Activating Drones
*Hacking crates

Currency & Upgrades

Now that you know how to stack up XP and currency, here are the three different currencies and their use.

From left to right: Iron, Blood Cells, Ink Cells

Iron: trade in Iron to unlock new characters and upgrade your Perks, Powers, and Weapons

Blood Cells: trade in this Resource to unlock and upgrade your hunters and scavengers’ Perks

Ink Cells: trade in these cells to unlock and upgrade your characters’ Powers and Weapons.
(Note: Scavengers may unlock a second, alternate Vambrace power and hunters a third, alternate Weapon.)

Upgrading your characters abilities isn’t as simple spending Resources, though; upgrading a Weapon, Power, or Perk may require that you complete a specific challenge with and for that Weapon, Power, or Perk. (Note: the current max level for character ‘upgradables’ is level 10)

To unlock new characters, you must meet their specific level requirement & possess the required resources.

Hunters may visit the technician, found in the locker room, to unlock and upgrade new Perks, Powers, and Weapons.

This should give you a general idea of Deathgarden’s new progression system. We hope that you look forward to trying out the new Perks, unlocking and improving the different characters’ Powers, and testing various character builds!

Sincerely,

The Deathgarden Dev Team

Comments

• HybridHybrid Member

@Michael said:
    a hunter may ‘farm kills’ by downing multiple scavengers and ‘showing them mercy’ only to execute them later during the match. While this may potentially grant the hunter with a massive amount of XP and currency, it’s a “high risk high reward” approach. In effect, achieving multiple scavenger downs prior to executing a scavenger grants the hunter with a reward multiplayer (max of 5 charges, or 5 consecutive downs). Upon executing a scavenger, the hunter receives an amount of XP points and resources corresponding to his/her reward multiplier. The multiplier then resets after each execution. Failure to execute a scavenger, however, means that the hunter won’t earn their reward. So, more conservative hunters may decide focus on map control, i.e., activating Drones, hacking crates, which also grants XP and resources, and go for the kill when an unfortunate scavenger makes a mistake.

This seems like an odd way to handle it. It's like saying that if the killer in Dead by Daylight takes an Ebony Memento Mori, they'll have a notably increased chance to kill 3 or 4 survivors, but their bloodpoints earned at the end will be fewer because of the strikes/hooks/chases that won't happen in a shorter or more dominant match. Yet I rather doubt players think to themselves, "Hmm, I think I won't use a Mori offering today because I'd rather show mercy and earn more bloodpoints."

In the old Deathgarden gameplay, the goal is plainly to kill the runners. There's no sense of "mercy" or not. Just getting them to bleedout or execute through whatever means possible. You're only stopped by the long initial bleedout timers and the need to charge the bloodpost. Actual game mechanics.

If it's going to be a free choice between "low but certain rewards" or "a gamble for high rewards or nothing", there is absolutely no way I'd "show mercy" as Hunter unless I am so far ahead that I can afford a lot of mistakes. While 5 Runners are alive, anything can happen. Even if my opponents are the greenest newbies I've ever seen, I'm knocking that number down to 4 or 3 at the first available opportunity. There is no debate for me.

• MichaelMichael Member ✭✭✭

Hey @Hybrid !

I understand your concern. As mentioned in the article, the "mercy" mechanic is a high risk/high reward approach. Now that we've implemented a progression system, players will want to to collect as many resources as possible and, for some, as rapidly as possible. Farming kills is one such way. Furthermore, depending on how far early on you get a kill in a match, you may deem it worthwhile to spare a scavenger. (Keep in mind, matches are now time-based.) For example, if you down a scavenger within the first 30 seconds of the match and feel confident, you may want to "risk it" and wait to execute the second scavenger you down. This will give you an XP and resource boost.

Hope this helps!