Darelz’ Runner Perk Guide

Death Garden currently contains seven perks, each of which has different scenarios it shines in and play styles it suits. This guide aims to help you decide which perks are best suited to you. I’ll outline what each perk does, its advantages and disadvantages, and whether or not you should run the perk. This guide is not meant to conclusively tell you which perks are the “best”, and I encourage you to experiment even if it goes against the meta advice. Please note that some of the numbers cited in the perk explanations come from player tests, so may slightly off. If you can’t find the information you want in this guide or think it could be improved then feel free to PM me on Discord @Darelz.

Evade Master

Description:
Increase stamina recovery by 40%.

Explanation:
The basic time to recover a full bar of stamina is 9 seconds, or 1.8 seconds per evade. With Evade Master the time to recover a full bar of stamina is theoretically* reduced to 5.4 seconds, or 1.08 seconds per evade. *In my tests, it seemed to recover stamina slightly faster.

Advantages:
The main advantage of Evade Master is that it allows you to use more evades while getting chased by the Hunter. You can combine Evade Master with Dodge Master to get more use out of both perks, greatly reducing the damage you take. A secondary use of Evade Master is faster map traversal, which is particularly useful in key mode.

Disadvantages:
Good Hunters can hit you even while you are using evades, so having extra evades won’t be of much use. You may also find that you don’t typically need the extra evades in chases as you use other tactics to survive.

Should I run it?:
Evade Master is a good pick if you are playing Control, as Control should usually be taking most of the Hunter’s aggro and so will need perks to help them survive chases. If you’re playing Torment or Support this perk is a somewhat weaker pick, as you shouldn’t be getting into as many chases meaning you don’t need perks to aid you during chases. That’s not to say Torment or Support shouldn’t run it though, just that those classes will get less use from Evade Master.

Cling Wrap

Description:
Increases wall clinging time by 500%.

Explanation:
The natural wall cling time is ~1.3 seconds. With Cling Wrap your wall cling time is increased to ~6.5 seconds. Note that this is the time per jump: if you jump up a surface a second time then the timer is reset.

Advantages:
Cling Wrap allows you to hide in trees instead of bushes, which is useful since most Hunters will check bushes but not trees when they know a runner is in the area, and Hunter Q stuns won’t be able to reach you. Cling Wrap also allows for a greater variety of tree jukes, such as confusing as Hunter as to when you have left a tree.

Disadvantages:
If you aren’t interesting in hiding in trees or using extended cling time for jukes, this perk is absolutely useless.

Should I run it?:
Cling Wrap is a fairly niche choice for people who enjoy using trees for jukes and hiding. If your interested in the tree strategy then try it out, otherwise you should pick something else.

Quick Rescue

Description:
Improves rescuing speed by 50%.

Explanation:
Quick Rescue affects both downed runner revival time and blood post save time. The base BP save time is ~4.5s, which is reduced to ~2.25s with Quick Rescue. The base downed revival time is ~4s, which is reduced to ~2s with Quick Rescue.

Advantages:
The primary advantage of Quick Rescue is that it allows for faster BP saves, which is incredibly useful considering how clutch BP saves can be. The faster downed runner revival time can be useful if your Support is unable to use their T3 Healing bolt to revive the downed runner for whatever reason.

Disadvantages:
If you’re not making many BP saves then you won’t get much use from this perk.

Should I run it?:
If you are playing Torment or Control then you should almost certainly run Quick Save, since it makes such a big difference to BP saves. Support players probably shouldn’t run this perk as they shouldn’t usually be making BP saves, and can often revive downed players faster with their T3 Healing bolt.

Staying Alive

Description:
Increases time before bleedout, when downed, by 50%.

Explanation:
Base bleed out time is ~1:30 the first time you are downed, ~1 minute the second time you are downed, and ~30 seconds the third time you are downed. With Staying Alive this is increased to ~2:15 the first time you are downed, ~1:30 the second time you are downed, and 45 seconds the third time you are downed.

Advantages:
Staying Alive gives your Support more time to revive you or for you to crawl to a healing point to revive yourself.

Disadvantages:
Your Support should be able to revive you quickly after you have been downed, as their T3 Healing bolt can be used at a distance. Staying Alive also does nothing to help you avoid getting downed in the first place.

Should I run it?:
If you are playing in solo queue and don’t think your Support is very experienced, then it could be worth running Staying Alive to give your Support more time to save you. This perk could also be useful if you find yourself getting downed a lot. Otherwise, it’s better to run a perk that will help you avoid getting downed in the first place.

Revivalist

Description:
Revive with full health instead of ⅓.

Explanation:
Normally when someone revives you from the downed status or bloodpost you revive with only one bar of your three bars of health. With Revivalist you are revived with all three bars of health.

Advantages:
Sometimes you have to be revived from downed status while the Hunter is still close to you - such as when the Hunter is camping your body or if you get downed during a BP save - and this perk can prevent you quickly getting downed again in those situations. Revivalist can also help your Support conserve NPI, as they won’t have to heal you after you are revived.

Disadvantages:
If you don’t find yourself getting downed much then you won’t get much use from this perk. It is also less useful if your Support runners are good are managing their NPI.

Should I run this?:
I think Survivalist is a strong pick for new players, as you’ll find yourself getting downed a lot and unable to last long in a chase with low health. Survivalist is a decent pick for the Support themselves, as Support players are the most important players to keep up. It’s less useful when you’re playing with experienced Support players as your Support will be able heal you when you need quick heals after getting revived, and you can just heal yourself with red healing points when you don’t need quick heals.

Crawler

Description:
Increase crawl speed when downed by 40%.

Explanation:
The basic crawl speed is ~18s per hexagon, which is increased to ~25s with Crawler.

Advantages:
Crawler lets you crawl to the healing points faster. It also allows you to get away from dangerous areas - such as those surrounded by turrets or mines - so the person saving you is in less danger and you are in less dangerous when revived.

Disadvantages:
There are very few situations in which you’ll need to crawl to a healing point, as T3 Healing bolts allows Support to revive you from a distance. Turrets and mines by a downed person are also not a big enough threat to justify using an entire perk slot to help counter them.

Should I run this?:
If you’re running a meme build then you could run Crawler and Staying Alive then roleplay as a slug. Otherwise, no, don’t run this. Please PM me on Discord if you think you can justify why it’s worth running Crawler, as it seems ridiculously underpowered compared to the other perks.

Damage Dodger

Description:
40% less damage while evading.

Explanation:
Any damage taken while using the evade action is only 60% of what it would have originally been.

Advantages:
This perk can significantly reduce the damage taken during a chase, especially when combined with degenerate. You can also combine Damage Dodger with Evade Master to get even more evades to further reduce the damage you take.

Disadvantages:
Damage Dodger is only useful when the Hunter is chasing you, whereas other perks can be useful both in and out of chases.

Should you run this perk?:
Like Evade Master, Damage Dodger is a solid pick for Control class but a slightly weaker pick for Support or Torment since Control should be getting chased the most. The main advantage of Damage Dodger over Evade Master is that it is certain to reduce damage, whereas the advantage of Evade Master is that in can also be useful outside of chases. If you chose the run both perks as Control or Torment then you have to give up Quick Rescue, which you should only do if you know at least two other people on your team are running Quick Rescue, and even then is a questionable decision.

Lucky Charm

Description:
25% chance to gain an additional Weapon Upgrade Part from Crates.

Explanation:
Usually you only get one upgrade part from a crate. With Lucky Charm you have a 25% chance to get two upgrade parts instead.

Advantages:
Lucky Charm helps you to upgrade your bolts faster, allowing you to rush a T3 bolt and gives you an advantage in the early game.

Disadvantages:
Lucky Charm has little use in the late game, as your bolts should be fully upgraded by that point. Lucky Charm is also RNG based, meaning there can be wild variation in how many extra parts you get in each game.

Should I run this perk?:
Lucky Charm is a strong pick for Support class, as the Support runners need to upgrade their healing bolts to T3 as quickly as possible in order to get the resurrection ability. Lucky Charm is viable on Control and Torment as they benefit from getting to T3 Slow/Virus quickly, however you may want to run perks with a stronger late game instead.